Saturday, August 16, 2008

Sense from David Broder

There's a great article by David Broder in the WaPo about Sen. Obama's "well-oiled machine." Very worth reading, but this struck me:

I had just come from listening to George McGovern lament the lack of discipline that wrecked his 1972 nominating convention and, perhaps, his chance of challenging Richard Nixon. "My acceptance speech was the best speech I ever gave," he said, "and it went on at 3 a.m. Eastern time, so nobody saw it."

It is unlikely to happen to Obama. Now that he and Clinton have agreed -- sensibly -- on giving her the roll-call vote her ardent supporters demanded, no contentious issues of policy or procedure remain to be ironed out.
I am shocked by how many people have argued that Sen. Obama "caved into" Sen. Clinton's demands on the roll-call vote. She got almost as many votes as he did, and I'm not a Clinton supporter, but as I argued in the past, this was the only way to go.

No comments: